Monday, July 23, 2012

My Oldest

Madelyn is all girl. She is a very passionate person. Her temper lets you know that.  But, as quick as she is to blow up, she's just as hasty when it comes to her sisters, or someone in need.


She loves fashion. I am talking way passed Fashion Plates Fashion Designer. She is always organizing clothing for everyone. Dolls included. She's been playing with material and a little fashion mannequin, too. I am getting scared. I can't imagine what her wardrobe is going to entail when she gets older. I am talking emotionally. Like when I tell her that $100 jeans are out of the question. Thank goodness the middle school here requires uniforms.


We never pass up an opportunity for a party.

Or pink.


Standing still would be an insult. Life is for dancing.

So we dance.

All the time.


Everything she does is over-the-top.

Everything.

So now there are a slug of commercials for products that Madelyn has on her wish list. There is a pillow with LED lights that glow for fifteen minutes, and change color. There are Stompee slippers where the critters blink their eyes every time you put your weight on that foot. Stuffees  are stuffed animals with special pockets to hide your stuff in. Cuddle-up-its are part blanket, part puppet.

And there are the Slushy Magic cubes.  Have you seen them? You add these to a shaker. Add your favorite beverage, and shake for sixty seconds. Out comes a slushy. So fast. So magical.

I wasn't going to pay for these three cubes.  So I poured salt water into snack-sized Ziploc baggies. I turned our freezer as cold as it could go, and let them freeze. I had so much salt that it took two days for them to freeze completely. I was very careful when I handled them. I knew that if I scratched a hole in the side of one while it was frozen, I would never know it. But I would discover it quickly when trying our slushy.

I placed the frozen baggie into a two-cup shaker that I use to make salad dressings. I added a cup of Kool-Aid.  I shook for about thirty seconds.

And it worked!

Madelyn was slurping it down in a hurry. Well, I only do these things after the other two go to bed, in case they don't work. They will get to try it in a day or two when the salt water re-freezes. I did place the water in new baggies. I am worried about it leaking and I wanted a fresh plastic barrier.

As I was cleaning up the kitchen, I found a pack of gum.

"Madelyn! I have gum. Do you want some? I have no idea how old it is, but it's sealed. It could be hard."

"Thats because you have to chew it first, Mom."

Right...thanks for the insight, kid.
------------------------------------------------

If you have any questions or comments you would like to share directly with me, please email thearmymommy@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!