Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Contacts: Renamed

Thanksgiving was always a great family holiday for me. This year started off with a laugh. Well, I could say that it started off with a 'Jerod' and wouldn't need to add more to this entry. It would speak for itself!


"How hot is your water heater set at? Welcome to Hell?!?"



Yep. That is how our Thanksgiving vacation actually started. Jerod was doing dishes and he almost scalded himself. Of course it wasn't his fault.



I giggled at his outburst. Then I got a mischievous idea. I felt drawn to the notion of pulling a prank.  No, not on my brother, who for all intents and purposes quite deserves it, but on my kind, generous, giving, sweet, unsuspecting mother. No. Making her dance outside a locked door wasn’t enough.



I must go one step further.



I smiled as I glanced at her from across the living room. This must be something worth remembering, something that will take time to appreciate.



I had it. I must change all contacts on her cell phone to fictional characters.



I needed to figure out how to get the phone from her. I have been known to tamper with phones left unattended. I may change the ringtone, or the wallpaper. So, others have grown weary of leaving cell phones just lying around.  This made my plan all the more interesting. I am just living up to set expectations of me.  It isn’t my fault you left the phone on the counter. Hmmm.



I just asked if I could play on my mom’s phone. She said, “Sure.”



Ha. Sucker!



I quickly snatched the phone and snuggled on the couch. I was on a mission. I needed to change 167 names, and do it fast.



I soon realized how mean this was. But, it didn’t stop me. I ended up only changing those whom she contacted often. That amounted to about 70% of the enteries. It was a safe assumption that she would recognize the numbers later.



Yea, that backfired.



She didn’t recognize more than about three.



Whoops.



The moment she realized it was when Bugs Bunny sent her a text. She giggled and asked who Bugs Bunny was. Then it hit her. It was a legit text. It took only a millisecond for her to realize what had happened. The look on her face when she scanned through all of her contacts will be forever burned into my memory.



Yes, I was laughing. I was rolling on the floor, actually. I thought I was pretty cute.



She will, too.



Someday.


------------------------------------------------

If you have any questions or comments you would like to share directly with me, please email thearmymommy@gmail.com

2 comments:

Please share your thoughts!