Monday, November 21, 2011

A Day with Madelyn

Having three girls sure makes me appreciate life from new perspectives. Today, I am sharing my day from the view of a seven year-old.

Last spring Madelyn sprouted new teeth. Her bottom front incisors emerged behind the baby teeth.  We had a chat with Dr. Jones about the issue and he said to give them until October to fall out.

They didn't.

But not for the lack of trying.

That girl was wiggling and waggling those things at every moment.  They were just too crowded in there to allow any movement for a proper first-loose-tooth extraction. We had to call for back-up.

On our way in to town I had a conference with Madelyn in my rear view mirror.

"Madelyn? Dr. Jones is very good at what he does.  Do not worry about pain, okay? I promise you won't feel anything but some pressure. But, if the doctor says that you do a great job, I will make sure you get a reward afterwards."

"Really? How much of a reward?"  Oh boy. Here we go.

"I will give you a $20 bill. You can choose to save it or spend it. You can buy Christmas presents with it, or toys, or a movie, or socks. If you want to buy ice cream or potato chips, then that is your choice."

"Okay!" Her eyes were bulging. She was plotting.

As of 9:12 this morning, Madelyn became two teeth short of her normal set of chompers. I was asking the doctor and his assistant how she did.  They said she did fabulous.  I was a bit torn about how to feel. I was surprised that she didn't fuss or flinch, but then I knew that Dr. Jones was the best and wouldn't expect any less than for her to be relaxed.

And I lost $20.




I asked her how she felt.

"Fine. I got to watch TV."

Okay then.

I waited. I knew the $20 was going to enter the conversation.

"Ready to head home? I have to get bottle liners for Audrey before we leave town."

"Do I get my $20 bill now?"

"No. I will hold on to it for you. It will be safe in my wallet instead of your little pocket."

"Okay."

We get to Wal-Mart. Madelyn and Hannah rush through the doors. Madelyn turns and frantically starts pulling at me.

"What, sweetie?"

"I need my $20 bill! I saw the ZhuZhu movie in the red box. I wanna get it!"

"Redbox only accepts credit/debit cards, honey."

"Oh."

We shopped for a while. Madelyn would pick something up and carry it around until she found something more interesting. Then she would swap it out.  A copy of the ZhuZhu movie from the DVD section was one of the items.  She settled on a Liv Girl that was on sale. Hayden was her name. Hannah got a tiny mermaid because she did a great job waiting at the doctor's office. That, and she didn't understand why Sissy got a doll and she didn't.

We got back to the house and was trying to carve the Liv Girl doll from the packaging. It was nearly impossible. I was literally rolling around on the kitchen floor trying to peel the doll out of that thing.  Hannah and Madelyn just stood there watching me. I am sure I was a sight to see.  Of all the things that have irritated and frustrated me, this doll packaging was the worst. I was downright ticked off. After muttering all kinds of condemnations towards China and plastic in general, I finally stood up and announced that she was never allowed to receive another Liv Girl Doll in her entire life. To my amazement, she nodded in total agreement. Wow.

I stood up and brushed myself off. I went back to the sack and began to open Hannah's mermaid. It was easy-breezy.  Then something caught my eye. It was the ZhuZhu movie. I held it up and asked Madelyn if she snuck it in the cart. Then, we asked Hannah. That was a mistake. Her eyes grew big. She ran, with her mermaid, to the chair and told me she was ready for her movie.  Oh great.

Madelyn must have seen the cogs working in my head about how to approach the Hannah about not getting to watch the movie. She offered her input.

"You know, Mom, I got this Hayden for not fussing while at the doctor's office. Did you notice that I didn't fuss or whine about going to the dentist office?!? That movie can be my reward for that."

How could I argue with that? I usually ask myself what Jay would say in these situations. This answer was blatantly obvious. Let her keep the movie.

So I did.

Madelyn stayed home long for the novacaine to wear off and to eat a soft lunch. I had her back in class by 11:45.

After school, Madelyn was finishing up her homework when she pulled out a picture she made in class. It was a cute poem about giving thanks.


I read the last part as "I am thankful for having a dad that beats me." I grew concerned.

"Oh, that is so pretty, sweetie! Nice choice of colors. Now, read it to me, please!"

"I am thankful for having a dad that protects me."

Wow. So did not see 'protects' in there. I was amazed at her. I just stared at her, speechless, for a moment, with her smiling at me.

"He protects you, too, Mom."

Okay. Breathe. Hide the tear. Oh boy.

I gave her a huge squeeze and told her that this was an amazing project and that I will save it forever. She packed her homework back into her pack and hung it by the back door, oblivious to the fact that I was crying.

I love my Madelyn.

------------------------------------------------

If you have any questions or comments you would like to share directly with me, please email thearmymommy@gmail.com

1 comment:

Please share your thoughts!