Thursday, March 29, 2012

When Children Use Logic

I was told in my childhood education and development classes at KU that children do not have the mental abilities to use reason and logic until around the age of seven.

I agree.

You can debate me all you want with arguments about how you got little Becky to use the potty with bribes of Skittles, or how spanking your child the first time they did something 'wrong' so that they will remember the punishment and avoid the incident at a later time.

That isn't reasoning or logic. That is incentive. Incentive works across the board. Especially on adults. Work = Paycheck.  Well, it used to be that way. The government has re-wrote the book on that one. But I won't go into that debate here.

Reasoning and logic are deeper.

Reasoning and logic apply to more of a problem solving set of skills. It is the process of figuring out how to get from one situation to another.  Examining causes and effects.  How to add eggs to a batter that has already been set to bake. Remember that story? Sheesh. (Click here for Rewind!Rewind!)

My cousin, Dub is how I will refer to him for his privacy, was about two and a half years old at the time. We had met his family at the Pizza Hut in Fredonia, Ks.  While we were waiting for the pies to arrive, we were all chatting about everything under the sun. We are very close to their family, so, naturally, there was some ribbing going on. But, Dub and his older brother were playing with their sodas. The older, by about 18 months, was trying to suck it up the straw, then quickly place his finger over the top to keep it from receding.  The goal was to see who could get the straw the fullest.  Dub didn't waste any time. He quickly filled his straw, then bent the tip down with his tongue. He pinched it with his teeth, then removed it with his finger and thumb. Voilá!

My dad was watching intently. He noticed how quickly Dub had figured that out. We asked his folks if they had shown him that trick before. They said they didn't. We asked Dub if someone had shown him that. He said, "No," as well.

That is a young child using reasoning and logic on a very basic level.

It also applies to wit.

A few days ago, I was folding laundry.  Madelyn was organizing some PetShopStory game on the iPad. I stopped and asked if she wanted to send an email to her dad on my iPhone. She thought that would be a good idea.

So there we were, punching letters in as fast as we could go. I made a comment at the end stating, "I must take after my mommy." I was referring to how well she was doing in school.  She asked what that meant. I told her that I was teasing Daddy, and explained how we get our characteristics from our parents.

We hit 'send' and went back to our tasks.

A few minutes later, I told Madelyn that if she helped me, I would be done sooner and would be able to help her get Snuggles, her bunny, out to play.

"Nah," she said.

"Seriously? You can help me, Madelyn!"

She smiled victoriously.

"I get that from my dad," she said, through her satisfied grin.

Oh boy!

So, later, we were outside having supper on the patio and Audrey started throwing a mega-fit.

Madelyn watched her for a bit, turned to me, and said, "Boy, she sure can be a pissy little girl, huh?"

I. was. speechless.

But, not for long!

Later that night, as I laid in bed reflecting on my day, I got the giggles. She was so innocent when she made that comment. She was clueless during her discipline. The thing that I laughed at the most was at how accurate her use of the word was.

I am counting down the days until school is out. I miss my Madelyn and can not wait to spend more time with her.


-----------------------------------------------

If you have any questions or comments you would like to share directly with me, please email thearmymommy@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!