Monday, September 12, 2011

Meeting New People

Why does everything have to be so profound? Why do we have to be so witty to feel accepted?

I joined a mommy's group a few weeks ago. It is just finding its feet and needing volunteers.  I am getting ready to be at home alone with three fun, quirky little girls and decided that volunteering would be a great way to keep some sanity. Or, to meet new ladies to share (to be read as 'whine') with. Okay. Maybe 'vent' is a better term.  I am in charge of the snacks for the meeting that is approaching in three days.  After being given a list of nine names, I began to phone each and every one of them asking if they could bring an item for the food table.  Panic sets in when there is a live, breathing, human being on the other end of that line for me.

...Quick...Think...I should have written a script for this...ummm.."Hi! This is Stacy from the MoPS group. Can you bring food? Bagels? Butter?"

Ugh.  Why me? I used to be so organized. Had my wits gathered. But I turn into an immediate dope when I have to speak to somebody new. Its easy to start off with a laugh. It lightens the mood. But I just can't and I turn into such a space case.

So, if you get a phone call from me for any reason, please have patience. Don't judge me for my phone skills.

However, this whole experience does not grant any sympathy for telemarketers. You are still slime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!