Saturday, September 17, 2011

One More Day

Diamond Rio has a great song. Its called "One More Day". Its about a loved one coming back from Heaven to spend just twenty-four hours here on Earth.  I had that experience this summer.

No, it wasn't my dad. Although, he does visit me regularly.  He teases me during my day through Hannah, and smiles at my life in my dreams.

It was someone else.

I am not one of those who dwells on her high school years. It was a typical four-year experience. It is the people that I dwell on. Friends, teachers, staff, and their families as well.

I helped with the boys' basketball team. I helped keep the scorebook, tally stats, and help with practices.  I was on the dance team, but that was the limit of my athletic ability.  I hated competitions. I loved watching them, however.

The boys' coach was our Health and P.E. instructor as well. We only had to take that class as freshmen, but that was long enough to develop a huge respect for him. It was easy to help a person when they are easy to help.

Coach had a father that was out of this world. He was so jolly and friendly. He remembered your name. That is a wonderful feeling to have when someone cares enough to remember your name.  He came to every game and was the team's biggest fan.  That was a great part of my high school days. Watching Coach's dad.

After my dad died, I heard that Coach's dad had passed away. I felt terrible. But, I knew that Heaven was getting a great cheerleader!

This summer, thirteen years later, I found Coach's phone number by chance. I dialed it to see if it still worked. It did! His wife answered and it was a wonderful 'catch-up' conversation. She shared their info and I was able to meet up with them for their son's basketball tournament.

I walked into that gymnasium and welled up with tears. It was good to see Coach and his wife. But, standing there, next to Coach, was his father. His dad was standing right next to him. I couldn't see. The lights began to dim and I stammered for words. Yes, I do that a lot. But, I actually couldn't speak. I acted like nothing was out of the ordinary, but was so confused.

After watching a bit of the game, I finally had enough courage to tell Coach's wife what had happened and wondered how I might have gotten so confused.

She told me it was her father who had passed away. What a confusing wave of emotions I had that day. The relief to see someone who's soul I had been praying for actually walking the earth, then the sorrow learning it was another who had lost a parent.

I left after that very entertaining ball game and headed home with all of these thoughts swirling around in my head.

What would you do if you had the same encounter with someone you had believed for so long had passed away?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!