Monday, October 31, 2011

The Heart of a Child

Tonight was Halloween. We had been trick-or-treating a few times already this season. I was sure the girls were tired of it. But, I announced it was time for costumes and all three got excited. Even the baby.



At twenty-til-six, we hit the pavement. My Celestial Sorceress, Pirate (Arrr, Mateys) and my Bumble Bee.  At first it was easy. Neighbors were home. They weren't tight with their candy, either! I tried to leave early enough so that families hadn't left to trick-or-treat themselves.  After a bit, it was hit-and-miss. Mostly miss. Madelyn got tired of ringing doorbells and just standing there. Hannah got tired of carrying her bucket.  The buckets were getting pretty heavy.

We turned a corner and headed down another street.

"Last block, guys. Then, we will head home and hand out the treats, okay?" They got excited about that.

This street had several houses that put a bowl of candy out, using the honor system.  The girls thought that was pretty fun.  So they trekked up to the door and picked out one piece of candy and marched back to me. I was playing with Audrey. She was cute. I wasn't paying much attention to the older two. Maybe I should have been.




We got to the end of the street and Madelyn's bucket was overflowing. She sat it on the bench of the Kiddy Limo and shoved her hat in the basket under Audrey. She was tuckered.

I asked Hannah where her bucket was. She held it up to me. There was less than half of what Madelyn had  in Hannah's bucket. I pondered that fact. Why didn't they get the same?

I glanced back down the street out of curiosity.  Then it hit me.

Hannah was leaving a piece of her candy at each house in the bowl. She wasn't taking one.

Bless her little heart...
------------------------------------------------

 If you have any questions or comments you would like to share directly with me, please email thearmymommy@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!